Balance of Plant Design & Development
Vionx Energy is building its team to accelerate the commercialization of its grid scale energy storage system, utilizing a new Vanadium Redox Flow Battery (VRFB) technology. We are seeking highly motivated and talented team members to achieve these challenging goals.
This Mechanical Engineering position will be within the Mechanical Systems group and will focus on subsystem design & analysis, component specification & selection, and evaluation and testing to achieve product requirements.
A successful team member in this group will be a self-starter, detail oriented, creative thinker, utilize sound fundamental engineering practices and have a strong understanding of manufacturing methods.
Key Work Functions:
• Design mechanical subsystems for flow batteries with an emphasis on fluid design, packaging, structural and thermal design;
• Utilize analytical calculations and tools to guide design content;
• Develop component requirements, technical specifications, and initiate selection process;
• Work with manufacturing engineering teams to incorporate design for assembly and manufacturing methodologies;
• Devise and perform tests to verify functional performance of product designs;
• Ability to perform trade off analyses to balance often competing interests of performance, cost and schedule in product design;
• Participate as part of a team or as an individual contributor on mechanical design tasks;
• Ensure that functional and technical specifications are met as to reproducibility of materials and process, as well as to function, manufacturability, reliability, serviceability, appearance and cost, and compliancy;
• Develop and document technical risk mitigation plans;
• Documenting and presenting design & analysis results to customers at formal gate and design reviews;
• BS in Mechanical Engineering required, MS preferred;
• 6 plus years of experience in a product design or project engineering role;
• Experience in 3D CAD (Pro/E a plus), Geometric dimensioning & tolerancing, design of experiments, testing & data analysis;
• Expertise in the design, analysis and selection of fluid systems and components;
• Design of piping systems, especially non-metal.
• Desired proficiency with analysis tools for mechanical structural analysis (FEA);
• Solid understanding of the product development life cycle – requirement management and test case management;
• Simulation experience desired;
• PLM experience is a plus;
• Ability to read and generate P&IDs;
• Experience with failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA);
• Ability to make sketches, engineering drawings and common computations;
• Ability to work collaboratively in a project team environment;
• Proficient in MS Office;
• Able to use scientific principles and methods to understand, test, and resolve technical problems that may lie beyond the normal scope of Mechanical Engineering;
• All considered candidates must have authorization to work in the US;
• Strong written and verbal communications a must;
Competitive base salary & benefits
No agencies please!
Please submit resumes to email@example.com
About Vionx Energy
A group of top global companies in energy, technology and finance have come together to back the formation of a new kind of energy storage company that’s poised to transform how modern grids are managed and optimized—Vionx Energy. Based in North Reading, Massachusetts, Vionx is meeting a critical need in today’s energy storage marketplace: making the grid-scale battery practical, resilient and economical across a twenty-year time horizon.
Though Vanadium Redox Flow (VRF) has already been proven through decades of use in numerous installations worldwide, United Technologies Corporation (UTC) has pioneered a breakthrough technology improvement to build a flow battery that delivers 2 times the power at a cost and reliability that was never before possible. Vionx’s resulting Vanadium Flow Battery brings together a 6-10 hour runtime with optimized storage capacity and long-term power output that’s highly competitive. And all at the lowest lifetime cost of ownership of any grid-scale battery.
Led by energy storage industry veterans, with partner companies who have been at the forefront of technological innovation for over a century, Vionx Energy itself has also been built to last. In the coming years, we will continue to work with our utility, corporate, military, and government customers to build storage systems—and relationships—that stand the test of time.